12.31.2010

artist profile!

hey guys! i can't believe it's already 2011....weird! so, here's january's artist profile!

i believe i stumbled upon this etsy shop thanks to someone who had hearted us both, but i'm not quite sure. this shop is one of my favorites, and i think their items are beyond beautiful (i once spent around an hour going through her boxes!). please, give it up for briana!

1.)Tell us a little bit about yourself! (name, location,pets, family, etc.)
I'm Briana from Doylestown, PA, a suburb an hour outside of Philadelphia. I'm currently substitute teaching while pursuing a Master of Education degree. I started selling on Etsy to generate some additionall income. I have two cats that were strays. If I lived alone I would definately be a cat hoarder! My mom is actually the one who inspired my "Blissful Treasures". She has collected small unique decorative boxes since I can remember. An entire glass cabinet is devoted to her little box collection.

2.)How did you become to be an artist?
I've always had an affinity for the arts. Painting, drawing, etc. always felt natural and comfortable to me. My parents definately nurtured my creativity. Growing up I wanted to be an art teacher but decided to be an elementary teacher instead. Now in my free time creating is a hobby.

3.)What inspires you?
I get inspired with broken pieces of antique jewelry or furniture that I find at flea markets. It's a treasure hunt for me! When I've uncovered something in the massive piles of chaos, my mind runs wild with the endless artistic possibilities.

4.)What is your creative proccess like?
There rarely is a plan when I begin making a box. I sit down surounded by dozens of bins containing anything from vintage buttons to broken broaches. My mood is always what sways the direction my box is going to take. It's either a funky chic, romantic victorian, or pleasantly pratical mood. I never have a visual of the end product as I'm working. The box is complete when I feel like it has taken on its own personality.

5.)What do you do in your free time?(besides creating)
Baking, running, reading, sudoku.

6.)What would give as advice to someone just starting out on Etsy?
Value your work and the time you've spent creating it. Don't sell yourself short when it comes to pricing your items. The group discussions are extremely helpful when starting out. I use to read them religiously and received great advice and tips for a successful shop.

7.)How do you promote your work?
It started with family and friends. I started bringing some of my boxes to family functions and they started buying gifts for their friends and co-workers. Aside from Etsy, Facebook is a fabulous way to promote. Sometimes I find crafting blogs and interest groups and promote there as well. Early on I did a couple of craft fairs but got reallly discouraged. Although I received a lot of compliments on my boxes, I didn't sell one thing! Since then I've stuck to selling online and have been successful.

8.)In ten years, where would you like to be?
Hopefully still finding time to fullfill my passion for creating.

9.)What handmade possesion is closest to your heart?
I have a collection of unique handmade fairies that my parents have bought me over the years whenever they traveled. My parents find them at little outdoor markets or craft fairs. They always enjoy conversing with the actual artist who create them. Coincidently, all of the artists claim to have had encounters with real fairies.

10.)What would you like to see more of on Etsy? Less of?
I love the layout of etsy. The diversity of the items is fantastic. I love seeing one-of-a-kind pieces of art. I really appreciate it when the seller has taken the time to write out a little story about their creation. That shows their creating something with passion and enjoyment. I would love to see more sellers do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment